Earthquake Impact on Honda Operations
Damage was widespread in the Tochigi area, where Honda has a number of operations. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has confirmed the fatality of a Honda R&D associate at the Tochigi R&D Center, when a wall collapsed in a cafeteria. The associate was male, 43 years old.
More than 30 Honda associates were injured in the Tochigi area from collapsing ceilings and other damage during the earthquake.
Honda would like to express its sincere condolences to the family of the associate who died as a result of this earthquake. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan and all those injured or displaced by this tragedy.
- Some Honda plants have closed in Japan, and will remain closed through Monday.
- Tochigi Engine, transmission and chassis parts.
- Saitama Two plants: Sayama plant in the Saitama factory produces CR-V, Accord, U.S. Fit, Acura RL and TSX. In addition, Ogawa Plant in the Saitama factory produces automobile engines.
- Hamamatsu Two plants -- automobile transmissions, outboard marine engines.
- Suzuka operated Friday, will not be in production Monday. This factory produces Japan Fit, Civic, Civic Hybrid, Insight and Honda CR-Z (all hybrid models).
- Kumamoto Factory in southern Japan remains in operation (motorcycles).
Honda in Japan is assessing the resumption of operations and the long-term impact to its operations from the Japan earthquake.
There is no immediate impact on Honda's operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America. The vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region.
Honda is assessing the long-term impact, if any, on Honda auto production in North America, since some auto parts are supplied from Japan.
There will be no major impact on the availability of Honda products in North America. Honda Fit, Insight and CR-Z, and Acura TSX and RL are produced in Japan. A small percentage of CR-Vs are produced in Japan.
Honda has confirmed the wellbeing of nearly all Honda associates on assignment in Japan from North America, and continues to seek such confirmation.
Honda's operations in North America and globally will do everything they can to support the recovery of Honda's operations in Japan.
#ICYMI - Honda Aircraft was again recognized by @FAANews for the exceptional knowledge and skills of its maintenanc… twitter.com/i/web/status/16378…
For over 40 years, Honda has been building high-quality, affordable vehicles in the U.S. With nearly 30,000 associ… twitter.com/i/web/status/16363…
Honda revealed the latest generation of our Autonomous Work Vehicle prototype, a multi-purpose fully electric off-r… twitter.com/i/web/status/16360…