Honda Responds to COVID-19 with Support to Customers, Honda Associates, Business Partners and Local Community Organizations
During this period of unprecedented challenge related to the COVID-19 pandemic, Honda is working to support its customers, associates, and business partners throughout North America, and, just as critically, to assist communities throughout the region where people are suffering the devastating effects of this health crisis.
Following is a summary of the actions Honda has taken, thus far, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic regarding its customers, associates, business operations and community partners:
Support of Healthcare Providers
- Honda modified 10 Odyssey minivans and provided them to the City of Detroit to transport people potentially infected with COVID-19, as well as healthcare workers. To help protect the health of the driver from the potential for droplet infection during transportation, the Honda Odysseys were retrofitted with a plastic barrier behind the front seating area, as well as modifications to the ventilation system to maintain an air pressure differential between front and rear seating areas.
- Honda has teamed up with Dynaflo Inc. to produce diaphragm compressors, a key component of portable ventilators that are used in hospitals and by first responders to help those stricken with the COVID-19 virus. The companies aim to produce 10,000 compressors per month once production reaches capacity.
- Honda associates at five different Honda facilities are using 3D printers to manufacture parts for face shields being donated to healthcare facilities and first responders.
- Honda engineers are working on a method to mass-produce face shields in Honda facilities, including use of plastic injection molding technology used in production of vehicle components.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE): 10 Honda facilities in North America combined to donate over 200,000 PPE items to healthcare providers and first responders, including gloves, face shields, N95 protective masks, alcohol wipes, half-mask respirators and other protective gear.
- Honda continues investigating the ability to meet critical manufacturing needs related to medical equipment such as compressors for ventilators, by partnering with other companies.
Honda has initiated significant and comprehensive new efforts to harness the spirit of community in response to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Honda has pledged $1.0 million to address the immediate needs of communities across the U.S., Canada and Mexico, providing the most vulnerable with access to food. The pledge is part of a range of efforts Honda is undertaking to support community and government actions aimed at helping people combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The donations to food banks and meal programs are being distributed to nonprofit organizations that address food insecurity across the region.
- Building on the commitment of Honda associates to community volunteerism, Honda has a COVID-19 Special Matching Gift Program that enables associates to make monetary donations to food programs in their communities, matching up to $1,000 for each individual associate. The matching fund is in addition to our $1.0 million pledge to address food insecurity.
- The Honda Center, a Honda-sponsored entertainment venue in Southern California, has been used as a social-distant distribution center by the Second Harvest Food Bank to distribute food to those in need in Orange County.
- “Virtual Volunteers”: Honda is empowering our associates in North America to help people in need in their local communities while maintaining social distancing. Some of the activities include setting up a neighborhood food pantry, grocery shopping for elderly neighbors and using social media to offer help with other tasks that can be completed from home.
- Honda has launched the #ThankaHealthCareHero social media campaign to encourage people to offer gratitude to doctors, nurses, paramedics, fire, police and other frontline professionals who place themselves at risk to protect the public’s health and safety.
For our customers experiencing financial stress due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have established a number of emergency relief measures.
- The Honda and Acura brands have offered to help customers who financed their vehicles through Honda Financial Services or Acura Financial Services with payment extensions and deferrals, as well as available late fee waivers.
- 90 Days to First Payment Program: 90-day deferred payment is available to qualified customers for new vehicle sales that are financed by Honda and Acura Financial Services.*
- Honda and its powersports dealer network have implemented temporary measures regarding remote delivery of Honda Powersports products enabling customers who aren't able or prefer not to enter a dealership to complete the entire purchase process without leaving their home or business. Depending on state or local regulations, dealers may or may not be offering home delivery, so interested customers should contact their local dealer to confirm, and for additional details on Honda's home-delivery policy.
- If a vehicle requires repair or maintenance, pending state and local government recognition of transportation as an essential need, a local Honda/Acura dealer service operation should be open and able to provide service.
Special Offers for Healthcare Heroes
- We’re offering select and eligible first responders and healthcare professionals a $500 (Honda) or $750 (Acura) discount on new vehicles financed or leased through Honda Financial Services or Acura Financial Services.To learn more about these and other programs, please visit our website at [https://automobiles.honda.com/covid-19]
Honda Associate Support
- Honda’s utmost concern is the health and wellbeing of our associates.
- Honda resumed production at its powersports facility in South Carolina on Monday, May 4. Honda’s U.S. and Canadian auto plants will resume production during the week of May 11.
- Honda created a call center of Honda HR professionals to help associates navigate their benefits, income replacement opportunities and changes to 401(k) plan rules related to the CARES Act.
- Many Honda office associates are working remotely from home or place of residence.
- In-office activity is limited to essential activities. For those essential associates working in Honda facilities, the company is taking additional steps to meet health and safety guidelines and support social distancing. These measures may vary by location, but include:
- Process adjustments to reduce associate interaction;
- Temperature checks upon arrival at Honda facilities;
- Requiring and providing face coverings at all facilities;
- Staggering shift start times and lunch times to reduce congestion;
- Changing seating layouts in the cafeterias and reducing capacity in all meeting rooms to reduce congestion;
- Limiting physical gatherings and maintaining social distancing to the extent feasible; and
- Adhering to the government recommendations for cleaning and disinfecting our sites based on CDC guidelines.
- A new temporary paid personal leave of absence program is available for associates who are impacted by COVID-19 circumstances and not eligible for remote work. This leave of up to 14-calendar days (10 business days) is for associates who qualify under the following criteria:
- Associates who cannot come to work due to being quarantined or a household member is quarantined; and/or
- Associates who are experiencing childcare issues due to COVID-19 school or daycare closings for children 12 years old or younger, and dependents with special needs.
- Associates who have COVID-19 or are being evaluated for COVID-19 are also entitled to this temporary paid personal leave of absence program to insure they are receiving full pay for the first 14 days of their illness (with disability leave available thereafter, if needed).
- Travel restrictions:
- Honda is prohibiting all international travel due to the latest advisories from the U.S. Department of State, with exceptions for critical need.
- Honda is prohibiting all non-essential domestic travel within each country in North America.
- Only business-essential visitors are allowed to access each Honda facility with pre-approval from management.
- Honda and Acura have adjusted marketing and social media efforts reflective of the challenges facing its customers.
- Honda has a new marketing campaign that builds on the company’s pledge to communities and customers in response to the COVID-19 pandemic by adding meaning to The Power of Dreams during these unprecedented times. Titled “The Power of Something Greater,” the new advertising and social media campaign focuses on how the strength of coming together as a community can help people get through challenging times and emerge even stronger: honda.us/PowerofSomethingGreater.
- The visual elements of the campaign focus on the core ways Honda is dedicated to supporting those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes contributions to food banks and meal programs, support for healthcare providers and the virtual volunteer efforts of Honda associates. The campaign also is featured across social media, where Honda is connecting with community.
- Acura is reminding customers how the brand is here to help during these challenging times in a new television spot. View Acura’s “Everything” spot here: acura.us/Everything.
- On social media, Acura is encouraging people to practice social distancing whenever possible through its #LessDriveMorePark campaign – suggesting to park vehicles except for essential travel, while offering useful information concerning driving during this unprecedented situation.
Due to the fast-changing nature of this situation, Honda will continue to provide updates on our business impacts and actions on Hondanews.com.
*Retail only. Not available in the State of Florida. Interest accrues during the deferral period.
# # #
Error: You currently have access to a subset of Twitter API v2 endpoints and limited v1.1 endpoints (e.g. media post, oauth) only. If you need access to this endpoint, you may need a different access level. You can learn more here: https://developer.twitter.com/en/portal/product