Statement by American Honda Regarding Front Airbag Inflator Market Actions
Honda will voluntarily recall certain vehicles in the United States in three separate market actions to replace one or both front driver's and passenger's airbag inflators, free of charge. Two of the market actions are specific to states and U.S. territories with high absolute humidity. It is possible that front airbag inflators in affected vehicles may deploy with too much pressure, which may cause the inflator casing to rupture and could result in injury. Honda is aware of one claimed injury involving a driver's front airbag. Honda is not aware of any other injuries or fatalities related to these market actions. While the specific number of affected vehicles has not yet been determined, Honda estimates that the three actions will include a total of more than two million vehicles in the United States.
In two of the market actions, Honda is working in cooperation with the manufacturer of the airbag inflators and NHTSA to recall certain vehicles in 10 U.S. states and territories (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands) based on the high absolute humidity levels common to those areas. While the states and territories in which Honda is conducting these actions are broader than those suggested by the manufacturer of the airbag inflators (Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands), Honda has chosen to expand the affected area for these market actions because of similar environmental conditions in those areas.
Summary of actions announced today:
1) Recalling certain 2002-2003 Honda Civic, CR-V and Odyssey; 2003 Honda Accord, Element, Pilot and Acura MDX models to replace the passenger's front airbag inflator, free of charge.
2) Recalling certain models ever registered in, or first sold in, geographic regions known for high absolute humidity (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) to replace the passenger's front airbag inflator, free of charge. Affected models are certain 2003-2005 Honda Accord, Civic, CR-V, Element, and Pilot; 2003-2004 Honda Odyssey; 2003-2005 Acura MDX and 2005 Acura RL models
3) Recalling certain models ever registered in, or first sold in, geographic regions known for high absolute humidity (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) to replace the driver's front airbag inflator, free of charge. Affected models are:
- 2001-2007 Honda Accord with 4-cylinder engines
- 2001-2002 Honda Accord with V6 engines
- 2001-2005 Honda Civic
- 2002-2006 Honda CR-V
- 2003-2011 Honda Element
- 2002-2004 Honda Odyssey
- 2003-2007 Honda Pilot
- 2006 Honda Ridgeline
- 2003-2006 Acura MDX
- 2002-2003 Acura TL and CL
Honda is announcing these market actions to encourage owners to take their vehicles to an authorized Honda or Acura dealer as soon as they receive notification from Honda or Acura. Mailed notification to customers will begin in late-July, 2014. After that time, the most-updated available consumer information about these market actions will be obtainable at www.recalls.honda.com and www.recalls.acura.com or by calling (800) 999-1009 for Honda owners or (800) 382-2238 for Acura owners, and selecting option 4.
# # #
Thank you to Rep. @TimBarhorst & Shelby County Commissioners Tony Bornhorst & @JulieEhemann for visiting our… twitter.com/i/web/status/16661…
To combat the issue of dangerous counterfeit airbags, Honda has worked with 33 states to enact consumer safety legi… twitter.com/i/web/status/16660…
For 30+ years, Honda Campus All-Star Challenge has enriched the lives of over 250,000 #HBCU students through a show… twitter.com/i/web/status/16656…