The Field is Set for Eight HBCU Marching Bands to Perform at the 12th Annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase
The votes are in and eight of the top Historically Black College and University (HBCU) marching bands have been selected to perform at the 12th Annual Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational Showcase. Widely known within the marching band community as "The Honda," the Invitational Showcase is the culmination of the Honda Battle of the Bands, providing a national stage to highlight the distinct showmanship of HBCU marching bands. The Invitational Showcase will take place on January 25, 2014, at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, where tens of thousands of HBCU marching band fans will converge for one of the nation's most distinguished marching band events. Individual and group tickets are available at http://hondabattleofthebands.com/tickets. The eight bands selected to perform are:
- Alabama A&M University, Marching Maroon & White (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Alabama State University, Mighty Marching Hornets (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Bethune-Cookman University, Marching Wildcats (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Morehouse College, Marching Maroon Tigers (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference)
- North Carolina A&T University, Blue and Gold Marching Machine (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- South Carolina State University, Marching 101 (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, UAPB Marching Musical Machine of the Mid-South (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Winston-Salem State University, The Red Sea of Sound (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association)
The eight HBCUs will receive a $20,000 grant from Honda for their music education programs, plus an all-expenses paid trip to Atlanta for the Invitational Showcase. The final eight bands were chosen through a voting process that incorporates feedback from online fan votes, band directors, HBCU school presidents and representatives from American Honda.
"The Honda Battle of the Bands is a celebration of the unique HBCU marching band experience and culture," said Gina Jorge, head of Multicultural Marketing for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The Invitational Showcase is a spectacular display of the results of months of dedication and preparation, and Honda is proud to continue to support our nation's HBCU music education programs."
Fans can join the conversation by using the official hashtag, #HBOB and connecting via social media:
- Facebook – Facebook.com/HondaBattleoftheBands
- Twitter – @The_Honda / Twitter.com/The_Honda
- YouTube – YouTube.com/hondabotb
- Instagram – @The_Honda
For more information on the 2014 Honda Battle of the Bands, visit HondaBattleoftheBands.com.
Make a Video – Win a 2014 Honda Civic
Honda is offering three talented fans an opportunity to win a free trip for two to "The Honda," and one of them will win a new 2014 Honda Civic. Fans are encouraged to submit a 15-second Instagram video that best embodies this year's show theme, "Best Yourself." For contest details, please visit www.hondabattleofthebands.com/contest.
Check out the 2014 HBOB intro video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdbcwmaQk0
American Honda Motor Co., Inc., was founded in 1959 as the U.S. sales and marketing subsidiary of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. Honda currently produces automobiles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, lawn mowers and engines at its eleven major U.S. manufacturing operations, using domestic and globally sourced parts. Honda's long-standing commitment to the support and success of the nation's Historically Black Colleges and Universities began more than 20 years ago with the establishment of the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge, a program designed to showcase the academic gifts and prowess of HBCU students. American Honda established Honda Battle of the Bands 12 years ago as an effort to support HBCU music programs.
# # #
RT @HondaInclusion: Congrats to @GamecockwBB basketball star Aliyah Boston who was named the @CWSA_Hondacup Collegiate Woman Athlete of… https://t.co/DXu86d7h19