HOW TO MAKE A CAR IN AMERICA
Honda has been making cars in America for more than 30 years, as one of the first international automakers to establish manufacturing operations in the U.S. Today, Honda operates nine U.S. manufacturing plants, employs more than 28,000 workers, and supports American businesses by purchasing parts and materials from more than 500 U.S. suppliers.
Continuing to follow the operational strategy of building products close to our customers, see below for Honda’s step-by-step instructions on HOW TO MAKE A CAR IN AMERICA.
Step 1: INVEST IN AMERICA
Honda has contributed to the growth of the U.S. economy with investments of more than $14.3 billion.
- Honda has deep roots in America and a long history of contributing to the U.S. economy through U.S. manufacturing, sales, R&D, and finance since the establishment of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. as Honda’s first overseas subsidiary in 1959.
- Seven of Honda’s nine manufacturing plants in the U.S. operate to produce Honda and Acura vehicles, engines, transmissions and/or components.
- Honda’s U.S. R&D operations can perform all aspects of new vehicle creation from initial market research and concept creation to styling, design, and complete platform engineering. In all, Honda operates 14 R&D facilities in the U.S.
Step 2: HIRE IN AMERICA
Honda employs more than 28,000 workers in the U.S.
- More than 28,000 associates are engaged in manufacturing, R&D, sales, finance, and other operations nationwide.
- 79 percent of Honda’s U.S. employment is in manufacturing.
- Honda’s 2012 U.S. payroll exceeded $2 billion.
- In addition, American Honda supports the employment of approximately 147,000 individuals at Honda and Acura dealerships across the U.S.*
Step 3: BUY PARTS IN AMERICA
Honda buys parts from more than 500 U.S. suppliers in 34 states.
- Honda purchased $22 billion in parts and materials from U.S. suppliers in 2012 to produce Honda and Acura products.
- In addition to its OEM parts supply network, Honda works with 13,500 companies that supply maintenance, repair and operational (MRO) services to Honda’s U.S. operations.
Step 4: GROW IN AMERICA
Honda has invested $1.3 billion over the last two years, and we’re still growing.
- Honda has been manufacturing in America for more than 30 years, beginning with the production of the Honda Accord in Marysville, Ohio, in November 1982.
- Honda has added 2,040 new automobile manufacturing jobs in association with the $1.3 billion in new investments made in the last two years.
- Through the steady growth of Honda’s North American production capacity, more than 90 percent of Honda and Acura vehicles sold in the U.S. were manufactured in North America in 2012.
- For more than a decade, Honda has maintained its North American sourcing rate above 75 percent.
Step 5: INNOVATE IN AMERICA
Honda’s 30 years of continuous improvement has led to the production of more than 18 million vehicles in the U.S.
- Honda was the first international automaker with the capability to perform “complete product creation” in America, starting with the establishment of Honda Research California in 1979.
- 24 Honda and Acura auto and light truck models have been researched, designed, and developed in the U.S. since 1991.
- American Honda is among the leaders in achieving top-level safety ratings, including 18 Model Year 2013 Honda and Acura vehicles that achieve IIHS “TOP SAFETY PICK” or "TOP SAFETY PICK+" ratings.
- The all-new Acura NSX supercar’s continuing design and development is led by Honda R&D Americas, Inc. and will be manufactured at a new production facility in central Ohio.
Step 6: MAKE IT HERE. SELL IT THERE.
Next year, we will export more vehicles from North America than we import from Japan.
- By March 2014, Honda will become a "net exporter" meaning we will export more vehicles from North America than we import from Japan.
- Honda exports U.S.-made vehicles to nearly 50 countries including Japan, China and markets in Latin America, Europe, and the Middle East.
- Honda exported more than 90,000 vehicles from the U.S. in 2012, an annual number that will increase to as much as 200,000 units per year in the coming years.
- On December 5, 2012, Honda produced its one millionth vehicle for export from the U.S. Honda was the first Japanese automaker to export U.S.-built automobiles to overseas markets (Accord to Taiwan in 1987; Accord Coupe to Japan in 1988).
- Since 1987, Honda has exported more than $22 billion worth of automobiles and components from the U.S.
*American Honda supports employment at authorized Honda and Acura automobile, Honda Powersports, and Honda Power Equipment dealerships. Honda and Acura automobile dealerships support approximately 91,000 individuals across the U.S.
Honda and Acura products are built using domestic and globally sourced parts.
***All data and figures as of September 2013.
Error: You currently have access to a subset of Twitter API v2 endpoints and limited v1.1 endpoints (e.g. media post, oauth) only. If you need access to this endpoint, you may need a different access level. You can learn more here: https://developer.twitter.com/en/portal/product